Spring officially arrives tomorrow, and most of us have been eagerly awaiting her. It may or may not feel like she’ll appear tomorrow, but let’s get ready for warm breezes and sunshine using my Top 10 Tips. Then you can enjoy the spring weather with your family and friends, when she really emerges.
1. Keep your home’s air and water clean by changing or cleaning these filters: furnace, air conditioner, water faucets, frig water dispenser, vacuum, range hood.
2. Turn off the furnace humidifier when you’re no longer heating your home.
3. Maximize the day light by giving your windows a wash on the inside if the weather’s still chilly. Then wash the outside when the weather warms up. Download my natural and healthy DIY cleaners here.
4. Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, change their batteries if necessary.
5. Clean your dryer exhaust duct and remove lint from under and around the dryer. Click here to learn how.
6. Clean your heat and air conditioner registers with a vacuum. It’s an easy way to keep the air in your home, whether heated or cooled, clean, and it helps reduce allergens. Do this on a regular basis, or at a minimum when you change from heating to cooling your home.
7. Steam clean your carpets or use a healthy method recommended for your carpet type. I have a home carpet cleaner and use Earth Friendly Products carpet shampoo. Set up shoe storage stations at each door and kick off your shoes when you get home to keep bacteria out.
8. Turn off the power to exhaust fans, remove their covers, vacuum the interior housing or carefully clean them with a soft cloth. You’ll be surprised at the amount of dust and debris that hides there. Remove it to keep your home’s air clean and keep your family breathing easy.
9. Check the seals on all of your doors to keep your conditioned air inside, and tiny pests outside. Repair or replace them as required.
10. Change your ceiling fan direction to spin counter clockwise when your air conditioner is on or clockwise if you’re heating your home. There is a switch on the fan housing to change the blade direction.
Take a few minutes to implement these tips to get your home fresh for spring. Then be sure to share these with your friends.